Design Technology KS3
During KS3 DT students will experience the whole design & manufacture process with the focus being on Creativity, Sustainability and environmental considerations.
The students will learn how to use CAD/CAM as an everyday tool in designing & manufacturing.
Health and safety is the foundation of a safe environment in which pupils have to experience and show competence in the use of tools and equipment. Students have to demonstrate maturity and safe practice to achieve their safety passport.
In KS3 students will experience and learn about:
• Designing techniques including freehand, 3D drawing skills and graphical methods
• Health & safety in the workshop & in every day life
• How to use workshop tools and machines to produce quality products
• CAD/CAM skills to produce drawings, run milling machines, vinyl cutters and laser cutting
• Will work with a range of materials including woods, metals, plastics and smart materials
• Electronic circuits & components
• Systems & control
• Methods of shaping and forming materials
• Evaluation of products on the market & work produced by peers
Projects covered in KS3 are:
• Desk tidy
• Electronic board game
• Automated night light
• Ball bearing game
• Endangered species promotional product
• Casting and packaging
• Clock /storage unit