The study of geography stimulates an interest in, and a sense of wonder about, places and helps make sense of a complex and dynamically changing world.
It explains how places and landscapes are formed, how people and environment interact, and how a diverse range of economies and societies are interconnected. We build on pupils’ own experiences to investigate at all scales from the personal to the global.
Promoting Geography from Anne Greaves on Vimeo.
Geographical enquiry encourages questioning, investigation and critical thinking about issues affecting the world and people’s lives, for the present and future.
Pupils learn to think spatially, using maps, visual images and new technologies, including geographical information systems, to obtain, present and analyse information.
Geography inspires pupils to become global citizens by exploring their own place in the world, their values and responsibilities to other people, to the environment and to the sustainability of our planet.
KS4 Geography Curriculum
• Theme 1: Challenges of Living in a Built environment – this unit looks at cities and rural environments, the problems they face and how they can be managed
• Theme 2: People and the Natural World Interactions – this unit looks at issues such as climate change, environmental problems and flooding
• Theme 3: People Work and Development – issues include development, trade and aid and how these can be achieved sustainably
• Consider problems facing our world and how they can be solved
• Carry out fieldwork and independent research
• Understand how to use maps, photographs, drawings and graphs
• Use evidence to support your arguments
• ICT skills – to present written work, produce graphs and maps and to analyse data
How will the work be assessed?25% Controlled Assessment - 15% based on fieldwork and 10% on a research topic.
75% exam – Two exams. There is an opportunity to take the first exam in Year 10.
KS3 Geography Curriculum
|Module||Year 7||Year 8||Year 9|
|1, 6, 11||No place like Home||Ecosystems|
|2, 7, 12||On your marks, get set go olympics||Rivers & Floods||Restless Earth - Volcanoes and Earthquakes|
|3, 8, 13||Money in my pocket - wants to be a billionaire?||Globalisation and Fair trade||Antarctica - an international cause for concern|
|4, 9, 14||Lets Talk - weather / weather hazards||EU and the immigration debate||China|
|5, 10, 15||Staying Alive - sustainable schools||Tourism good or bad? Gambia||Start GCSE's|