The Modern Foreign Languages Faculty
Ici on parle le français!
¡Aqui hablamos español!
Learning a Modern Foreign Language is a way of enhancing our understanding and enjoyment of other cultures.
The MFL Faculty delivers either French or Spanish for 5 hours a fortnight to all students in years 7 and 8 and for 4 hours a fortnight in year 9. In year 10 students have the opportunity to either start the GCSE course in either French or Spanish for 6 hours a fortnight. At KS4 students are currently working towards the WJEC GCSE exam. We are a highly motivated faculty and our students regularly perform well. At PCS we promote language learning with a fun, creative and enthusiastic approach. With the implementation of the new curriculum, students are given every opportunity to develop their language skills and succeed in using the foreign language purposefully and creatively. In order to ensure all of our learners experience success and a sense of achievement we:
- Promote a positive ethos towards learning a new language
- Deliver our lessons in the target language
- Tailor-make resources to suit the needs of all pupils
- Encourage students to build language up at the level appropriate to them
- Enable students to manipulate texts to ensure a clear understanding
- Give students the confidence to present language to groups of students confidently using power point
- Concentrate on all 4 skills equally - listening, reading, writing and speaking
- Provide opportunities for our students to use ICT to enhance learning
- Use film/DVD where appropriate to extend cultural knowledge as well as linguistic capabilities
- Ensure our AGAT learners are catered for
- Provide extra curricular experiences to enhance learning in the classroom