Did you know that just registering your child for a Free School Meal means that the school receives extra money? For every child registered, PCS gets £935.00 per year. This makes a huge difference to our school income.
Large funding cuts across our school budget and increasing costs to run the school mean that we could do with us much extra income as possible!
This funding is called a ‘Pupil Premium’. The Government provides money to schools to help children from lower income families do their very best, ensuring that eligible children can benefit from the same opportunities as all other students in the school.
Some families choose not to claim a free school meal as their child brings a packed lunch. However, the pupil premium funding allows us to provide those in receipt of free school meals financial assistance from the school in other ways:
* School Trips – All trips that are relevant to curriculum study come at a reduced cost for any child in receipt of Free School Meals;
* Food and Design Technology – Children in receipt of free school meals do not have to pay for material costs;
* Curriculum Resources – some revision guides and calculators, etc can be provided free of charge to eligible students;
* Possible extra help in lesson or in after and before school intervention sessions, if required.
It is, therefore, important that if you are eligible for this entitlement that you claim it – regardless of whether or not your son/ daughter would like to make use of the daily free meal.
You may be entitled to Free School Meals if you are in receipt of any of the benefits below:
• Income Support
• Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
• An income-related employment and support allowance
• Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
• The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
• Child Tax Credit, provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
If you think that your son or daughter may be entitled to free school meals and eligible for the pupil premium support within school, please complete and return the attached form to our reception. Or you can apply online direct with East Sussex County Council https://admissions.eastsussex.gov.uk/Enrol/Website/default.aspx
If you are eligible, a daily credit will be automatically added to your child’s dinner account at the start of each school day. They will then be able to use it to buy a snack at break and a sandwich or a hot meal at lunch time. You cannot distinguish between those students who are free school meals and those who are not as we use the biometric scanning system in both food halls and the food service area at the rear of the school.
Please call the school office on 01273 581100 if you would like any assistance with completing the form or need any further information.
Click here to download the form.