Dates for this year’s Summer Schools for Year 10 are as follows:
• Week One - Wednesday 5th July – Friday 7th July 2017
• Week Two - Monday 10th – Wednesday 12th July 2017
Students will experience a mixture of academic sessions within their chosen strand, a tour of the campus, a sports and leisure evening, a chance to hang out in the Student Union, key note lectures around top tips for university and other topics, staying in university accommodation, as well as the chance to speak with our Summer School Ambassadors (who are all current students here at the University of Sussex).
This year we are taking applications online, via the following link:https://goo.gl/forms/uFgZTlXXzIRRlVoJ3
• Application Criteria - Students must be First Generation (first in their family to go to university excluding siblings). Priority will be given to those who meet this criteria unless there are other mitigating circumstances.
• Up to 3 places per school, to ensure fairness we will only allocate up to 3 spaces per school per summer school. All applications are a show of interest, and no places are guaranteed until students receive a confirmation letter from us.
• Applications close on Friday 24th March 2017.
• Places on the Summer School are free of charge, with all accommodation, travel and food paid for.
Further information, advice and guidance will be available to students through a series of after-school presentations and PSHE lessons. We would also encourage Year 11 students to attend as many college open evenings as possible.At PCS we also have a well-stocked careers library, if you would like to look at information on specific careers. If you need help accessing any of the websites below or would like to book a careers meeting, please see Miss Newman in the Library.
www.nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk - National Careers Service
www.nhscareers.nhs.uk -National Health Service
www.nmc-uk.org - Nursing and Midwifery Council
www.army.mod.uk - Army
www.raf.mod.uk - RAF
www.royalnavy.mod.uk - Navy
www.careersatsea.org - Merchant Navy
www.mod.uk - Ministry of Defence
www.stemnet.org.uk - Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths
www.autocity.org.uk - Careers inform from the automotive industry
www.allaboutschoolleavers.co.uk - Advice and guidance to parents & carers
with regards to the options open to students after leaving school
www.careersbox.co.uk - Careers films on the web
www.cascaid.co.uk/kudos - an impartial online careers guidance and information program
www.fasttomato.com - Interactive careers guidance questionnaire
http://icould.com - Careers Advice, Choices & Ideas
www.plotr.co.uk - Discover and explore careers you'll love
www.careersworld.co.uk - Online careers resource
www.connexions360.org.uk - General information for young people
http://getsmaart.com - School Leaver Career and Course Information
www.apprenticeships.gov.uk - To register
and see vacancies
www.apprenticeships-in-sussex.co.uk - To see local Training Providers
www.semta.org.uk - Science, Engineering & Manufacturing Tech
www.southernwater.co.uk/about-us/careers/apprenticeships - Southern Water
www.ucas.ac.uk - University listing/course search
and entry requirements
www.ccb.ac.uk - City College Brighton and Hove
www.sussexdowns.ac.uk - Sussex Downs College, Eastbourne and Lewes
www.bhasvic.ac.uk - Brighton
www.varndean.ac.uk - Brighton
www.northbrook.ac.uk - Worthing
www.plumpton.ac.uk - Plumpton, Lewes
www.centralsussex.ac.uk - East Grinstead
www.bexhillcollege.ac.uk - Bexhill
www.sussexcoast.ac.uk - Hastings
www.ringmeracademy.org - Ringmer
www.uctc.org.uk - Uckfield
www.cife.org.uk - Council for Independent Colleges
http://www.whatuni.com/- All you need to find the right uni!
www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk - League tables and rankings
www.russellgroup.ac.uk - Represents 20 leading UK universities
www.oxbridgeapplications.com - How to apply and much more
http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/ - the one stop site for apprenticeships,
gap years, distance learning and jobs
www.gapyear.com - Gap year/volunteering
College prospectuses and application forms will be available from the careers area at the back of the library from early October. There will be lots of help on completing applications forms available from PSHEE teachers and mentors over the next few weeks.
• Encourage healthy breakfasts
• Ensure your child stays hydrated
• Organisation is crucial!
• Use a notice board / fridge for key dates
• Encourage good sleep patterns (8 hours a night)
• Attend all PCS Year 11 events and College Open Evenings
• Refer to the homework timetable (found on PCS website). Students should be doing some homework every evening,
this is good practise, not only for GCSE’s but for college too